Thank you to all who attended the 11th Annual Women & Influence Conference!
Women & Influence: Media Justice explored the use of media content, activism and policy/advocacy work to advance social change for women and girls. The conference invited community members who are interested in increasing women’s media participation, ownership and representation.
The keynote address was given by Zerlina Maxwell, a political analyst and contributing writer for Feministing.com, The Nation, BET.com and EBONY.com. Zerlina writes about national politics, candidates and policy and culture issues including domestic violence, sexual assault, victim blaming and gender inequality.
This year’s conference will also featured a “girls’ track” of workshops to engage and train young women to become critical media consumers and creators. This track was attended by young women aged 11-18.
9:00am - 9:30am Registration & Breakfast
9:30am - 9:45am Welcome and Opening Remarks
9:45am - 10:15am Keynote Address: Zerlina Maxwell
10:30am - 11:30am Morning Workshops
- Session 1 - Women as Media Makers: Creating a counter narrative though Art
- Session 2 - News Media through a Gender Lens: Who is telling our stories
- Session 3 - GIRLS' TRACK - Media Literacy 101
11:30am - 12:00pm Networking Lunch
12:00pm - 1:00pm Lunchtime Panel: Women in Sports Media
1:15pm - 2:15pm Afternoon Workshops
- Session 1 - Being a Critical and Engaged Media Consumer
- Session 2 - No More "Mindless' Entertainment: Unpacking Media Misogyny Through Critical Media Literacy
- Session 3 - GIRLS' TRACK -Using 'Photo Voice' to Raise YOUR Voice
2:30pm - 3:30pm Closing Plenary: Women in News Media & Broadcasting
WOMEN'S WAY would like to thank Citizens Bank Foundation for their eleven years of continued support of the Women & Influence Conference.