Application Process and Requirements
- The applications must be completed and submitted by 5:00 pm on January 17, 2014. The link to the 2014 Turning Point Prize application is below.
- INFORMATION SESSIONS: Two pre-application information sessions will be held at 123 S. Broad St., Philadelphia PA 19109, 8th Floor. Applicants are encouraged to attend. Dates of the Sessions are:
WEDNESDAY November 6, 2013 - 8am
THURSDAY, December 3, 2013 - 5pm
***Please RSVP for an information session to: firstname.lastname@example.org***
- All applications received by the deadline will be screened by WSI members in January and February 2014. WSI will select a short list of finalists who will be invited to provide additional information, and to present his/her proposal to WSI members.
- All applications require two letters of reference from faculty members, managers or directors of 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organizations, or community leaders that address your capabilities, character and entrepreneurial spirit, as well as support for your project.
- Because funds from The Turning Point Prize will be disbursed through your not-for-profit sponsor, a letter from the sponsoring institution acknowledging its 501(c)(3) tax status and agreeing to sponsor your project will be necessary.
- Projects must be completed within twelve months of receipt of the award.
- Funds may be used only for direct expenses associated with the project.
Criteria for Selection
WSI Members will evaluate applications based on the following criteria:
- Definition of problem
- Project goals and impact on problem
- Innovativeness of idea
- Feasibility of project plan
- Vision of success
- Entrepreneurial spirit
In February 2014, finalists will be sent invitations to make a presentation to the WSI members on a specified date during the beginning of March 2014. The invitations will include details on the content, date and time of the presentations. The 2014 Turning PointPrize winner will be announced at the WOMEN'S WAY Powerful Voice Awards event in May 2014.
Requirements of Award Recipient
The Turning Point Prize winner will be required to:
- Be present at the 2014 Turning Point Prize announcement at the WOMEN'S WAY Powerful Voice Awards dinner.
- Be available for up to two other WSI events during the year;
- Be available for media interviews as requested;
- Prepare quarterly narrative and financial progress reports once the project begins; and
- Prepare a final presentation that captures the success of the project and lessons learned. A final financial report also will be required.
Receipt of Funds
The award recipient, the award recipient’s organizational sponsor, WSI and WOMEN'S WAY will enter into an agreement. Upon execution of the contract, a check for up to 25% of the award will be sent to the sponsoring organization, earmarked for the recipient’s project. Subsequent payments will be sent to the sponsoring organization after the winner’s quarterly progress reports are accepted by WSI and WOMEN'S WAY. See attached guidelines for sponsoring organizations.
The Turning Point Prize winner, in conjunction with his or her sponsoring organization, must submit to WSI and WW quarterly progress reports, and, within 90 days of project completion, must submit a final report comprised of a narrative describing project outcomes and a financial accounting report. All reports shall be presented as both a written document and an in-person presentation to Members.