Now Hiring: Communications and Events Intern
WOMEN’S WAY is seeking a proactive, creative and digital media guru to assist with communications strategy and event planning. If you’re a self-starter who loves amplifying stories, building community, and creating impact-driven content to advance social change, this internship is perfect for you!
Please note: This is a paid internship.
Hours per week: 15-20 hours
Who we are
WOMEN’S WAY is the Greater Philadelphia region’s leading nonprofit organization dedicated to the advancement of women, girls, and gender equity. At WOMEN’S WAY, we work every day to remove barriers that hold women back, so that all women thrive. Since its founding 44 years ago, WOMEN’S WAY has seeded, supported, and led an array of efforts to advance opportunities for women and girls, and gender equity for all. The four main pillars we focus on are 1) Economic Security; 2) Safety; 3) Reproductive Rights; and 4) Leadership Development.
We support these issues by 1) coordinating and aligning efforts among stakeholders, 2) empowering individual and collective voices to build new knowledge and advocate for change, and 3) investing in organizations through grantmaking, training, and resource sharing.
We are a small but mighty team strongly committed to continuous learning, innovation, and growth.
Reporting to the Manager of Communications and Director of Operations, the Communications and Events Intern will assist in the implementation of communications strategy across WOMEN’S WAY internal and external communications channels in accordance with our Strategic Communications plan. Using a variety of communications platforms and tools – including social media, the WOMEN’S WAY website, e-blasts and newsletters, media, blogs, op-eds and print materials – the Communications intern will work with the Manager of Communications and staff to promote our programs, fundraising, and organizational initiatives to cultivate community and build our visual identity and brand.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Provide support in communications efforts in alignment with our strategic communications plan by creating and executing work plans that include the creation, production and dissemination of internal and external content via web, social media, and email marketing channels (including text, graphics, and videos).
- Curate original, quality, and relevant social media posts, blog posts and other digital content to educate and inform audiences about key issues and news relating to gender and racial equity and upcoming
- Provide copywriting support across varied communications channels including social media, blogs, website and E-blasts
- Research content/campaign ideas and other communications opportunities aligned with WOMEN’S WAY’s mission and shared values
- Engage and interact with similar niche organizations and the WOMEN’S WAY community across social media channels (Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn & Twitter)
- Track social media engagement to identify high-performing ideas and campaigns for scalability
- Assist the Manager of Communications with completion of projects as needed
- Provide assistance with event planning for WOMEN’S WAY and the Young Women’s Initiative
- Participate in staff and committee meeting and attend community events
- Support other staff members as needed
- Provide assistance with the organization’s general email box, route requests to appropriate staff, and handle general requests and inquiries.
Who you are: We are looking for an energetic, detail-oriented individual who is passionate about social justice and utilizing communications channels to advance gender and racial equity. To be successful, you will be someone who is extremely creative, takes initiative and loves the fast paced world of communications.
If you’re a digital media savvy, jack of all trades and a master of words interested in diving into the nonprofit world, this position is for you!
A few more specifics:
- We are looking for someone who can work a minimum of 15-20 hours per week.
- We can work together to figure out a weekly schedule that works for you, keeping in mind that our office hours are typically Monday-Friday 9am-5pm. Some evenings and weekends will be required for events
- We are currently working as a hybrid model with 2-3 days in the office and 2-3 working from home for the remainder of 2021. We will closely monitor guidelines outlined by the City of Philadelphia and will make adjustments as needed.
- Passionate about WOMEN’S WAY’s mission and our work in advancing gender and racial equity
- Knowledge of social media platforms( Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter) and effective social media trends and communications strategies
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and meet/follow deadlines
- Excellent collaboration and teamwork skills with the ability to work effectively in a group settings
- Strong copywriting and editing skills with precise attention to details
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects/campaigns at once
- Experience with Medium and writing blogs for publications
- Experience with communications systems such as Google Drive/Google Suite, Microsoft Office, Hootsuite, Canva and Constant Contact
Nice to Haves
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite
- Knowledge of video software’s and editing skills
How to Apply
Please send the following materials to email@example.com with “Communications/Events Intern” as the subject line.
- PDF or word version of your resume
- Work samples (portfolio, social media posts, blog posts, etc.)
- PDF or word version of your answers to the following questions (each answer should be no more than 2 paragraphs):
- Why are you interested in this position and what do you hope to learn in this role?
- What are two unique strengths/qualities that you will bring to WOMEN’S WAY?
*We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to racial equity and social justice. We strongly encourage people of color and individuals from the LGBTQIA+ community to apply!!
Applications will be accepted until August 31st. Interviews will take place in early September. The targeted start date for this internship is September 2021.