Over the past 40 years
WOMEN'S WAY has impacted the lives of hundreds of thousands of women and their families through our grantmaking efforts. By seeding, supporting, and leading an array of efforts here in our region, we are working toward ensuring affordable health care access and protecting reproductive rights; empowering leadership; implementing systems change in responding and preventing domestic violence; and achieving equal opportunity and economic security for women and girls everywhere.
A $240,000 three-year grant to Women Against Abuse, Women Organized Against Rape, and Women’s Law Project, for their collaborative efforts to implement a project that propels systematic change in the way the City and State identify and respond to domestic violence.read impact
- Catalyzed a collaboration of three Action Partners, Women Against Abuse, Women Organized Against Rape and Women’s Law Project, to develop a coordinated response to domestic violence
- Supported the development of a universal screening tool: Philadelphia Screen for Experience of Relational Violence (P-SERV) that will support a standardized response in the City of Philadelphia
- Helped build the foundation upon which the collaborative expanded to a Collective Impact initiative, now called Shared Safety, to create a more effective city-wide response to domestic violence
- Advanced fundraising efforts of the collaborative that recently lead to Women Against Abuse (WAA) being honored with the 2017 Barry & Marie Lipman Family Prize at the University of Pennsylvania. As a winner of this year’s prize, WAA will receive $250,000 in unrestricted funds, as well as executive training from the University of Pennsylvania, and promotion of the organization’s life-saving activities and advocacy in Penn’s network
Women’s Medical Fund
Women’s Medical Fund works to make sure that no woman is unable to make the choice she knows is right for her, simply due to lack of funds. The financial barriers to abortion have been cited to be even more harmful to women than the legal barriers. WOMEN’S WAY’s grant provides financial support to 53 women seeking abortion access.read impact
Women’s Medical Fund
- Supports WOMEN’S MEDICAL FUND’s efforts in expanding abortion access by helping women pay for procedures, transportation, and any other costs that might otherwise put the abortion a woman needs out of reach
- Provides financial support to 53 women seeking abortion access.
HIAS PA provides legal and social services to the foreign-born regardless of religion, race, national origin, sexual orientation or disability. With respect to Safety, under its Interpersonal and Domestic Violence Project, HIAS provides legal assistance for women who qualify for immigration benefits under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) because they have been abused by a US citizen or permanent resident spouse. WOMEN'S WAY's grant helps HIAS to significantly sustain its Interpersonal and Domestic Violence Project at a time when funding for immigrant-focused work and VAWA is in serious jeopardy.read impact
- Supports HIAS PA’s Interpersonal and Domestic Violence Project
- Provides on-site outreach to domestic violence shelters in Philadelphia and Chester County
- Provides legal assistance to approximately 150 clients per year
Take Action Philly
A $5,000 grant to the Take Action Philly initiative, a group of legal organizations responding to threats to the rights of immigrants and refugees, many of whom are women and girls.read impact
Take Action Philly
- Provided a venue for lawyers across the region to gather, learn about the current assaults on the rights of immigrants and refugees, and learn how they could respond effectively. The convening resulted in:
- Over 500 lawyers participating in the event
- Training over 250 lawyers to provide legal representation
- Strengthening a leadership team to unite lawyers, government, community organizations, and residents to protect and assist some of Philadelphia’s most vulnerable residents
Women’s Medical Fund is honored to receive this award from WOMEN’S WAY. We will use this grant to ensure abortion access for those most impacted by punitive political restrictions; this support will help us to plan for the uncertain times ahead for access to abortion in this new political era.
Executive Director of Women’s Medical Fund
In a time where immigrant women and girls are in more danger than ever, we are so grateful for WOMEN’S WAY’s generous support of our work. Women all over the world are victimized based on their gender… This grant will be used toward immigration legal intervention, which allows immigrant victims of domestic violence the ability to obtain legal status so that they can work, become independent, and remain safely in the U.S. with their children.
Esquire, HIAS PA